Cheap dental implants may not always be a cheap as you think. The dental implant industry is very competitive with both dentists here and abroad competing for your business. Dental tourism is on the increase and some brave patients explore with various degrees of success. Unfortunately not many of the cases I have seen have been especially successful. He is a case with multiple implants placed over the course of 2 years with dozens of visits required to provide the initial treatment, deal with complications and finally the patient can no longer travel abroad back to the original dentist. Thousands have been spent with no recourse as the treatment was provided abroad where there is no indemnity cover . In England dentists are well regulated, training is required and dentists must have indemnity cover should something go wrong.
I have worked in Grantham now for 25 years and know many of my patients. The work has to be good because it is my reputation that I have to protect. Many clinics have visiting implant surgeons. How experienced are they? how long will they be there? If something goes wrong who can sort it out? These are all questions worth asking before under taking dental implant treatment. If an implant starts to go wrong it needs to be treated as bone loss around an implant can be quite rapid and result in not only the implant failing but there being very little bone left to place a new implant.
Questions to ask before having dental implants
- How many implants has my dentist placed before mine?
- Is there a guarantee on your work?
- Is the implant itself made by a recognised and experienced manufacturer?
- Are there any hidden costs, such as X-rays and consultations?
- Is the implant placed in the surgery here or will I have to travel?
- What is the quality of your customer service?
- What is the quality of the physical environment in which the service is delivered?
- What is your protocol on after-sales care?
- What happens if something goes wrong?
- Will I see the same dentist every time?
- Is there a waiting list?
- Is that price for my implant fully restored with the crown on it?